House Managers at Vanderburgh House
Sober Living House Managers
The House Manager in a sober living home is the single most important role in the leadership of a successful recovery residence. Every sober house relies on the House Manager to guide the home and support each resident from the moment they move. We carefully screen and support our House Managers so they can successfully lead our sober houses and residents. In general, House Managers have demonstrated a commitment to their recovery and a desire to give back to their recovery community by managing a sober house. Nearly all have lived in a Vanderburgh House home prior to becoming a House Manager and know what it's like to be a resident.
All our House Managers are in recovery. All our House Managers have been screened and qualified according to our criteria (below). All our Homes Managers have been carefully trained and have agreed to lead their home according to our procedures, policies, and practices to ensure each resident is supported in their recovery journey.
House Manager Duties in the Sober Home
- Coach and guide residents in their personal recovery journeys
- New resident orientation, initial screen, and move-in support
- Lead the weekly House Meeting and address resident concerns
- Conduct random urine drug screens of all residents
- Conduct random room and personal property searches
- Manage chore schedule, house supplies, and maintenance concerns
- Respond to resident and home emergencies
- Address resident behavioral concerns
- Ensure safety procedures are followed
House Manager Qualifications
We require our House Managers to meet high standards, including a minimum time in recovery, demonstrated commitment to their personal recovery, and a calling to give back to their brothers or sisters in recovery. With the responsibility place on this important position, we must ensure that we work with the best possible candidates.
- Minimum of 12 months of sobriety
- Demonstrated commitment to personal recovery
- Demonstrated experience in coaching or sponsoring others
- Experience living in a Vanderburgh House home
- Previous experience as a House Manager in another home
- Educational or clinical experience in the recovery services field
Sober Living House Manager Training
Our House Managers undergo an extensive training program and manage the home according to our House Manager Handbook. Our training program includes classroom and small group training at our training center in Worcester, Massachusetts, as well as an online training and evaluation program we’ve developed on the Talent LMS system. Typically, during our training program House Manager candidates serve as an Assistant House Manager in one of our homes for a period of thirty days prior to being selected to be a House Manager.
Are you interested in becoming a House Manager with Vanderburgh House? We'd love to talk with you. Please get in touch with us to express your interest. If you would like to dedicate your professional life to giving back, consider opening a sober house and becoming an operator.