How Can We Help?
< All Topics

Assumed Name Certificate (d/b/a – Doing Business As)

d/b/a Meaning

d/b/a means “doing business as” and is required for businesses operating under a name other than their legal name. Filing for a d/b/a allows you to do business under a name other than yours, or the name under which your business is legally registered. Sole proprietorships and general partnerships are legally required to file for a d/b/a, but almost any business entity type could benefit from having one.

Assumed Name Certificate (or d/b/a)

Regardless of whether you will operate your Vanderburgh House business as a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership or LLC, you must file an assumed name certificate (d/b/a) with the appropriate governmental office with the assumed name of Vanderburgh House. The assumed name certificate is sometimes called a trade name certificate or a fictitious business name certificate or a d/b/a registration. The appropriate governmental office is usually the county or city clerk. The purpose of this filing is so that the general public will be informed of the registered agent for a business and where official contact with the business can be made.


Each jurisdiction uses a different form. Generally, the required information includes the name of the business, the street address of the business, the name of the business owner(s), the type of business to be conducted, and the expected period of operation. The expected period of operation should correspond to the initial term of the Franchise Agreement. Usually, each owner must sign the certificate and all signatures must be notarized. Fees generally range from $10 to $100. In some jurisdictions, you will need to place a fictitious name notice in a local newspaper for a certain amount of time.

Previous Obtaining an Employer Identification Number
Next Opening a Business Bank Account
Table of Contents