Introduction to Operator Training
Welcome to the Vanderburgh House family!
I would like to personally congratulate you and welcome you to the Vanderburgh House family. This article is to introduce you to the onboarding and training process and help get you up and running quickly and efficiently!
This is a Knowledge Base article, and will help guide your training along with hundreds of other articles. Articles can be found organized based on subject, they can be found by searching for content, and they can also be found through a variety of links located in articles which refer to other related articles.
To access the remaining articles in this section, as well as many other articles in this Knowledge Base, you must be logged in. If we have not yet done so, will provide you a login shortly.
SECTION 1: DOCUMENT REVIEW
The first step in our training program is to review our legal documents with you to make sure we have a mutual understanding of the work we will be undertaking and how we will work together. Take a moment to review your Charter Agreement or Earn-In Agreement and be prepared to discuss with the Vanderburgh House team if you have any questions. By now, you should have a copy of fully-executed documents.
Business Entities for Chartered Operators
This step only applies to Operators who are operating an independently owned and chartered business. For earn-in Operators, we will address this later. Articles used in this section of our training program can be found in the Knowledge Base section titled Business Administration.
By now, it is safe to assume that your business entity is established, you have obtained a business bank account, and are conducting business under your business entity. Be sure that you’ve completed all items before continuing:
- Business entity established
- EIN obtained
- Business certificate (d/b/a) obtained
- Business bank account created
SECTION 2: ONBOARDING
The first section of this Introduction to Operator Training article covers onboarding tasks relating to software services we use on a daily basis.
We use the WhatsApp messaging app to communicate internally. We will have a group thread set up early on to keep our team and yours on the same page as we get on board.
- On your phone: Download the WhatsApp messaging application from your app store (available on both Android and Apple). Create an account using your cell phone number – let us know when you are set up, and we will invite you to join a dedicated group thread for your new business.
- On your computer: Download the WhatsApp messaging application for your computer as well. We recommend that you save the icon on your task bar.
We will create an Office 365 account for your new business. Typically we will use your home name as your login, for example [email protected] You can view all of our naming conventions at this article. We will send you your login credentials on the WhatsApp group thread, and from there, we ask you to log in and become familiar with Office if you have never used it before.
We strongly recommend that you set up your new email address on your phone as well as your computer. On your phone, you can use Outlook or Gmail for a mail client, and log in to your email account. On your computer, we strongly recommend that you use Outlook. Your email type is a Microsoft Exchange email address; you will likely be asked this when you are setting up the accounts.
On your computer, we recommend “pinning” Outlook as a tab on your start menu or other convenient area. You will be using Outlook frequently.
We strongly recommend downloading Microsoft Outlook on your computer and mobile device and using this software to manage your Vanderburgh House email account. Your email address will be used for logging in to other software and communicating with others in our organization, so be sure to have this email address accessible easily.
After you have downloaded Outlook and set up your email address, we ask you to set up your email signature as well. Instructions on how to do this can be found in the Office 365 article as well.
Now that your email is set up, we will add you to two other software services, starting with Buildium. Buildium is home management software which you can read more about through the link to the article on the subject. Keep an eye out for an invitation email to set up your Buildium account. You do not need to do anything further than logging in, but we recommend that you bookmark this URLs for easy access.
The Buildium URL is: https://vanderburgh.managebuilding.com/Manager/
The second software we will introduce you to is HubSpot. Keep an eye out for an invitation to HubSpot as well. Again, you do not need to do anything further than logging in, but we recommend that you bookmark this URLs for easy access.
The HubSpot URL is: https://app.hubspot.com/
Finally, we will provide you with a username and password through which to access all areas of this Knowledge Base. Make sure that you have these credentials and are able to successfully log in to the system.
SECTION 3: TRAINING
Knowledge Base & Training
Our training program is completed largely through this Knowledge Base. This tool will be essential in every aspect of your training and will be used on a daily basis as you operate your home. The Knowledge Base is an online database of resources, tools, instructions, articles, guides, and other content to answer questions, give you ideas, and guide you through each step of training.
Explore the articles we have and see if you have any initial questions or concerns. If you find an article that is unclear or incomplete, please let us know so we can correct this! Following this article, the training program will progress through four stages.
- Training Stage 1: This stage of training is completed by the Operator online with support from Vanderburgh House staff. This will be your next step, reviewing the training material in that article and working through this yourself.
- Training Stage 2: This next stage of training is a deeper dive into the articles in the Knowledge Base. This should be completed after you have finished all of the Stage 1 articles and onboarding tasks.
- Training Stage 3: This stage of training is completed at our headquarters. This will be scheduled during your first two stages of training, and will roughly follow the schedule in this article.
- Training Stage 4: This final stage of training is completed virtually as you prepare to open your home.
Opening a New Home
Where are you in the process of opening a new home? In addition to our training process, we will have a separate training and onboarding process when you get ready to open your home. Operator training and the process for opening a new home do not have to happen at the same time. Read our article on opening a new home for more information on this process.
Meet us via Zoom! We will reach out to you to schedule our first training call together. On this Zoom call, we will discuss the schedule of training and get you set up on the four software services referenced below. Our goals for this meeting are as follows:
- Discuss technology services and access
- Discuss training goals and expectations
- Discuss use of this Knowledge Base
- Business cards and initial marketing material order
- Business entity review (if applicable)